“Fannie Lou Hamer’s America” Pre-screening and Panel Discussion- February 1, 2020!!
The theme for Black History Month 2020 is “African Americans and the vote.” https://asalh.org/black-history-themes/
In keeping with this theme, the historical focus of the AAFSA Black Heritage Celebration for 2020 will be Fannie Lou Hamer and her struggle for Black voting rights in Mississippi. There are a number of events centered around this theme including a prescreening of a new documentary film “Fannie Lou Hamer’s America” by filmmaker Joy Davenport, before it is released to the public. This prescreening will occur in the afternoon on February 1, 2020 and there will be a discussion afterward with an opportunity to ask questions and dialogue about the film.
We will also have a panel discussion on voting and the Black community in the morning on February 1, 2020. The panelists for this discussion are:
· Marvin Sutton – Arlington City Council
· Lorraine Miller – NAACP
· Maleshia B. McGinnis – City Attorney and Chief Legal Advisor for the City of North Richland Hills
· Judge Kenneth Sanders – Precinct 7 Judge of the Tarrant County Justice of the Peace Courts in Texas
· Marvin Dulaney – Professor Emeritus, Department of History, UTA
· Devan Allen – Tarrant County Commissioner, District 2
· Wendell Joubert – Associate Principal of Timberview High School
We would like to solicit questions for the panel ahead of time so that we can maximize the amount of information transfer during the panel. If you would like to ask a question of our panel, please email it to me. I hope you will plan on attending the Black History Celebration this year and I look forward to your participation.
Dr. Molefi K. Asante & Ama Mazama: “Revitalizing our Youth by Afrocentric Education.”
About a year ago, the Dallas chapter of Afrocentricity International was founded. The global grassroots organization, was established by Dr. Molefi K. Asante and Ama Mazama. On January 11, 2010, Dr. Asante will speak at the Pan African Connection Art Gallery and Resources Center.